Friday, May 23, 2008

Horrible Parent

I am definitely the WORST parent ever!!! Here's the story: Gracie fell at school Wednesday morning. The office called me at 8:15 and said her hand looked really bad and that I should come get her. Yes, her left thumb/wrist were very swollen and 'angry' looking. Of course, me being the great nurse that I am (obviously not), took her home and gave her ibuprofen. No need to see the doctor I said; it's just a bruise or sprain. Well, the thumb and wrist were still hurting her today (Friday), so Kev took her to the pediatrician. They took an x-ray of the left wrist and saw no gross abnormalities. They then decided to x-ray the right forearm for a comparison film. The radiologist then asked Kev and the crew if Gracie had injured her right arm recently. Gracie immediately spoke-up and reminded Kevin about the soccer kick she received about 1 MONTH AGO! Gracie did cry when that injury occurred, but she got back in the game! She complained for a couple of days, but she was fine soon afterward. Well, much to our dismay, she apparently broke her arm that night. The 'comparison' film showed a healing fracture of her right radius. Luckily, the left wrist/thumb are okay. I can't even express how terrible I feel right now. There are no words to express my horror and anger at myself. From now on, if the kids get hurt, it's straight to the doctor (yeah, right - I will probably still down-play everything). You probably don't remember, but Jaxon broke his right forearm (radius and ulna) when he was 2; he fell off of a swing. We didn't take him to the doctor for 2 days. I am beginning to think we might be unfit parents! Regardless, we have very stoic children, and they are surviving (and thriving, I think) despite their upbringing. We do feel very blessed that the fracture has healed straight and will require no further treatment.

3 comments:

shanfran said...

I do the exact same thing with David and Haley. If there's no quick flowing blood, there's no problem, right? Fortunately, there have been no broken bones yet, at least, not to my knowledge. I think most parents are like you, so don't beat yourself up. What doesn't kill them will only make them stronger. You are not a horrible parent - anyone who knows you knows better!

Anonymous said...

Every nurse I know who is also a mother has this exact reaction! A friend of mine who is an ER nurse told her husband he probably just sprained his ankle, but it turned out that he blew out his Achilles!

We all know you are an excellent mother and wife!!

Mindy

shanfran said...

I think the title of your next blog should be "Horrible Blogger"! Where's the updates, missy???? I need to know what's going on with you, Kevin and the kids. I hope all is well.

Love you and Miss you!
The AZ Francoeurs